[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hell and Fozen Wisconsin

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gsdman2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:27:40 -0500

Ich wohne in Wisconsin.
Wisconsin freezes over a lot.  Our winters are legend.
We ski here too.

I just love it when two thoughtful folks agree with one another.
Somehow I just knew this would happen some day.

Of course, German Shepherd Dog fanciers in Wisconsin have known for a very long
time that a club such as ours can refuse membership to someone or anyone.

Why?

Because the GSDC of Wisconsin has a provisionary membership which provides that
 all individuals desiring to join our club may be accepted or rejected upon
vote of the Board of Directors,  initially as an "Associate Member" only.  The
Associate Member status is for a full year.

At the end of the year, the "Associate" applying for Regular Membership must be
voted upon again in order to be accepted as a "Regular Member".

Our application reads as follows:

"Annual dues must accompany this application for consideration. Dues will be
returned in case this application is rejected."

Our Board of Directors votes at a regular meeting to reject or accept an
individual as an Associate member.

Section 2 of the GSDC of Wisconsin By-Laws reads:

"A majority assenting vote by the Board of Directors shall be requisite to
admission. Upon approval of the application, an associate membership card
accompanied by a copy of the By-Laws shall be sent to said applicant."

Section 3 reads:

"At the end of one year, an associate member may make application to the Board
of Directors within (30) days for a Regular Membership.
A majority assenting vote by the Board of Directors at a regular meeting shall
be requisite to regular membership."

Please note......

The membership under consideration for the second time is called "regular".

And perhaps careful attention should be paid to the use of the words
"regular meeting".

All of the above is arrived at and voted upon at a "regular meeting" of the
Board of Directors.

I also had a sainted German grandmother too.

The German grandmother started every sentence ever uttered with one special
word.

"Achtung !!"

"Achtung, Jane. Pay attention.  Words have meanings. We live by them.
Regular means regular."

"Wow, Grandmother", I ask very politely, "regular means regular in Wisconsin ?
Do you also know if they ski in Hell?

"Totschweigen, Jane. Totschweigen."

Jane Kerner