[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Heartworm & ..........

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <barbara17236@xxxxxxx>, <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:44:23 -0800

That was one of my first thoughts too Barb.    But I DO know when we place a
puppy and have it in the
record that he puppy is started on heartworm preventative...and explain to the
new owners all about
heartworm and specifically have it in the record that they receive heartworm
preventative on the first of
every month for the rest of their lives.....we are no longer surprised at how
many Vets tell the new owners
that  " the preventative is not necessary as they don't live in a heavy
heartworm area ".    I have to spend
MORE time warning them again and remind them that even if they are not NOW in a
heartworm area....
they SOON WILL BE!!
Used to be heartworm was only in the South.   NOW heartworm is serious in most
areas, especially
where we are where there is lots of wildlife.  We're about 45 miles North of
Sacramento.  These Vets seem
to forget that new people are moving in and out of an area all the time...or
even where the owner of that
puppy may take it in their travels!    Reno Nevada Vets were always telling the
owners preventative was
not  necessary as Nevada was  heartworm free!!    NOT ANYMORE!

Of course if Vets earn $6,000 for treatment....maybe they don't want owners to
use preventative meds!!   <G>

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>