[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Heartgard Plus Warning!

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:24:54 EST

Over the years I have repeatedly begged the list to worm puppies starting  at
two weeks old, and over the years many on the list have  responded  that
their puppies are not born with worms. Recently a lister wormed her puppies
upon
my advice, (even tho the pups had been on heartworm preventative, which was
supposed to also prevent roundworms) and was sickened by the amount of
roundworms that came out of her 4 week old puppies. Roundworms start  migrating
in
the puppy at about 3-4 weeks old, (I forgot the exact age),  migrating to the
eyes, the lungs, etc, possibly causing blindness and pneumonia.  It is a simple
matter to worm the pups regardless of the heartworm meds being  given.
Strongid-T (nemex, pyrantel pamoate) are the same wormers, different in
strengths.
Puppies and dogs love it, and it is not toxic. No reason not to do  it.  Syd

In a message dated 2/20/2006 6:44:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I have  been asked to write this letter to the list by a veterinarian
breeder  friend of mine.  This veterinarian will follow up with
information at  a later time as right now he can't due to legal
proceedings.    He asked me to relate some information to as many pet
lovers as I can to  perhaps, save other owners of dogs the near tragic
death of one of this  country's top champions.

The above bitch had a litter of puppies 4  weeks ago.  About 2 weeks ago
the owner realized something wasn't  right with her animal.  She just
wasn't acting herself.  She  knew something was wrong.  Her appetite
remained fine and her stools  were normal, but still something wasn't
right.  She took her to the  vets and she was running a low grade fever.
They did blood work, and  put her on antibiotics.  She never got better.
They did an  ultra-sound.  Nothing.   A few different antibiotics were
introduced to her, again without any change.  The owner removed the
mother from her new litter and was raising them by hand, because she was
worried that the teeth of the puppies could turn yellow and be ruined
when they came in because of the mother being on antibiotics, plus she
didn't want to tax the mother any further.
The mother's temperature  went up to 104 degrees.  This vet palpated her
abdomen and found a  large tumor.  He performed an emergency surgery and
found that her  spleen was very enlarged.  He had to remove it.  She came
home  and continued the antibiotics.  Still no improvement.  Her owners
became frantic and were in touch with the leading vets in the country
including Cornell.  No one could find out any reason for this bitches
illness.  Then one of the many days that she was at one of the vets
hospitals, a vet technician noticed her stool a little loose and did a
stool check on her.  The results came back shocking.  She was  infested
with roundworms.  She had e-coli in her uterus caused by the  round
worms.  She was immediately wormed.  Her temperature is  now at 103
degrees.  The prognosis for the bitch is good, but she may  still have to
have a uterine flush because there is a small amount of  liquid in the
uterus.

Now this breeder has had her dogs on  Heartgard Plus for years.  She buys
it by the case for $700!!!!   Heartgard Plus is suppose to protect our
dogs from among other things,  roundworms.  She naturally went and had
the rest of her dogs  checked.  They ALL had roundworms, and naturally
the 4 week old  puppies as well!

They have already about $7,000 in medical expenses  with this beautiful
bitch.  The vet who I'm writing this letter for  is now in touch with the
manufacturers of this product.  Something  will be done.  I'm not sure
what yet, but as I said once they do what  they need to do, he will write
his own letter with the results.  He  just wanted me to pass this word on
about this.

What is going on  with the manufacturers of products.......first the
Diamond Food recall and  now this near tragic event with the Heartgard
Plus!  I don't use this  product myself.  I use Interceptor, but even so,
when I just bred my  bitch, I had her checked for worms before breeding
her.  I didn't  want to leave anything left to chance.
May I add that this person who owns  this top champion bitch is not a big
kennel, is a very conscientious show  dog home and does very little
breeding.  Plus this dog is owned by a  veterinarian so their animals get
the best of care.  This  veterinarian is concerned that many other
animals may have been  mis-diagnosed in the past and could have died
never knowing the real  reason why.  All this animals tests came back
normal and here she was  near death...........UNTIL they did the stool
sample.  So the reason  they wanted me to write this was to get the
message out there if you are  using Heartgard Plus on your dog, check
them out for roundworms.

So  I was asked to write this for them and so I did.  I hope I got all my
information correct as it was related to me.   If I get anymore  updates
about this, I'll let you know or these people who experienced this
hopefully will be able to write more about it after they deal with the
manufacturers.  Best wishes,  Barbara  Galasso

POST  is Copyrighted 2006.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - URL temporarily deleted due to AOL  issues

Syd Mailberg  425-432-4144
23910 SE 276th St
Maple Valley, Wa. 98038
Animal  portraiture