[ SHOWGSD-L ] Health sites of diseases for those that might be interested

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 17:59:40 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/1/13 2:43:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

This is  just one site as I didn't want to produce all the documented
College  sites
of their findings and studies.  Cancer is not included but have  numberous
sites dealing with it too.  Yes, the vets at the colleges  will e-mail you
back with their findings.  You also note some of these  sites are from other
countries too.

There are plenty of studies of the German shepherd, since it is one of the
most popular breeds of all times.

It is like OFA. We were the first club to fund the OFA, and to work with
the results.  Because of that, the incidence of hip dysplasia is being
improved less often now since we have improved so much, it is hard to do much
more.  Some take that figure to show how the GSD isn't doing anything about
hips.

I find those who want to dwell on the problems with any breed, should stay
away from that breed. If you think the German shepherds are so riddled with
 problems, then it is best you go on to Egrets, or something were no
studies have  been done.

There is no reason to make yourself unhappy with a breed that give nothing
but devotion and all they can give to their owners.  A person who lives to
find unsoundness will find it. But, that sort of person would be better
served  in another breed, one that perhaps has no health problems.

And, certainly a person would be happier not trying to tell us how we
should turn on our chosen breed.  As one who has had contact with over  3,000
shepherds over 40 years, I can say it is one of the strongest, healthiest  and
most rewarding breeds to deal with of all the 241 breeds in ARBA and  AKC.

But, you can also see the other side of anything.  If that is what  floats
your boat. I just can't imagine what pleasure one would have to be  involved
with a breed and only read things that would dismay you.

Not that there is anything sensible about that.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together