[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Health Question , help......

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: kebre1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:57:00 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/2006 12:44:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kebre1@xxxxxxx writes:
Hi,   Had a puppy that was not gaining weight,  did all  the  usual things,
but he never gained much weight.  AT  6  weeks,  a  noticed him throwing up
his
food ,  about 25  minutes after eating) thought  immediately  esophagus.
Took him to the vet ,   barium xray and scope down  throat.   He didn't have
esophagus  problem,  he  had   an  aortic arch.   I had one of  these  happen
about
25 years ago.    The aorta grows around the   trachea and closes it to a
small
opening.   Vet said , no  guarantee  the puppy would be fine if we did
corrective  surgery.  We had him put  down.   He was such a sweet  puppy.   I
hate
breeding when  this happens.  Any  ideas if this is hereditary?

Apparently:(

_http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/lida/index.php?Pg=8&DID=243&Name=Dobermann&Bree
dID=52_
(http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/lida/index.php?Pg=8&DID=243&Name=Dobermann&BreedID=52)

Years ago I went to  look at a litter for someone who suspected she  was
dealing w/ mega in a puppy.  I actually didn't like the way three acted  after
they ate.  A barium x-ray showed PRAA in all three.  She was  advised that
surgery would be expensive, recuperation difficult and there was no  guarantee
(dealing with heart surgery after all) they would make it or have a  decent
quality
of life.

It was an (sad) education for me; I would have thought it was mega. This,  if
possible, was actually worse.

I'm sorry Brenda.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_