[ SHOWGSD-L ] Have things changed so dramatically?

  • From: MASSTANA@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:58:20 EDT

While I have only been showing shepherds for a little while I don't
remember a time when an owner handled dog used to be the common sight.  In
fact
in the 70's, here in the Northeast  where we got started, it was  not
uncommon to see Jimmy, Lamar, Terry, Sandy, Henry, Pete, Fred O, Doug, Jack,
Gary,
George (very young then) and others that don't come quickly to mind, all
in the same class much less in the same show.  In the 70's and 80's if  you
didn't have a pro you stood little chance of winning your class much less
winning the points.

It has always been about "going around in circles".  Some dogs had the
showmanship and some didn't.  Those that had the attitude and were built
right, won or at least went to the front end of the class.   I believe  Ch
Gilligans Island was one of the all time best "show" dogs ever.  He  enjoyed
the
ring and would go around and around all the while asking the judge,  and
everybody else at ringside,  "look at me, look at me".   It  wasn't mindless to
him.  He had fun and had a sound mind and was built  right.

So basically I don't think things have changed quite so much over the
years.  The dogs have.  Over all they are better in my opinion.   The
temperament has gotten better too.  The entries to AKC shows are  abominable.
Not
sure where our sport is heading but there isn't  quite the panache there used
to be when you advertised your puppies as  "champion sired".   Our pet
buyers want a sound tempered German  Shepherd.  One that is trainable and not a
walking time bomb.  They  want a healthy dog that is not going to cost them
an arm and a leg to  maintain.  Most people want a friendly dog that won't
embarrass them.   By and large they couldn't care less if it is a champion as
long as it looks  nice and is sound in mind and body.  That probably is
somewhat different  than the 70's and 80's when champion implied "the best".

Just some random thoughts.  John V

In a message dated 5/5/2011 12:03:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx writes:
but the  exhibition of GSs has changed dramatically, and now does not
really reflect  the true definition of the breed. We should not need the bells
and whistles:  people used to show their own dogs ( no double handling there
LOL). Now in  order to win one must have the big handler (don't
misunderstand, I like and  admire most of them) to make the dog race mindlessly
around
the ring, a matter  of the fastest dog wins.