[ SHOWGSD-L ] Happy Birthday To Kizzy ROM!!!!! 11 years old!

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 10:46:03 -0700 (PDT)

(To all those who have lost their beloved companions this week...I am reminded
of the song by Diamond Rio that reads, "One more day, one more time...one more
sunset maybe I'd be satisfied....But then again, I know what it would do; leave
me wishing still for one more day with you"...My time with Kizzy is slowly
approaching its close. I sit here weeping as I write this; stroking her soft
fur and marveling at the colors that only He could create. Sables have always
reminded me of a moveable work of art...their color shifts, lightens and
darkens with the movement of the muscles that lie beneath the fur. I truly
believe that all things happen for a reason; that Kizzy was meant to come into
my life at a time when I hurt beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Her
antics made us laugh and she was the bane of Krunch's existance...yet, they
were ever side by side and I felt honored to have been included in the life
they shared. She misses him still, I am
 sure. I see her looking for him in the darkened hallways when night has closed
in..and I know he waits patiently for her on the other side eager to continue
their game of "ball".
No one knows how much longer I will be graced with her presence...I only know
that I will cherish each moment and remember all that she has done...all that
she has meant...and will be looking for her on the other side when my time here
is at an end...This is my homage to my best friend and truly....better half...)
"....her eyes are not as bright as they were that day at Fred's when we
first spied her in the pasture romping happily with her sister; her
steps are slower now and her girth wider than my vet would like....but
the smile she wears tells of many years of love and devotion; both
human and canine. This one's for you Kiz...
  Still grief stricken from the loss of our sable beauty, Shandra, we had
motored to  Fred Olsen's Red Rock Kennel in Connecticut
with hopes of easing the pain for both us and for Krunch (our very first GSD)
who had become
inconsolable since Shandra's passing. He  spent his days wandering
from room to room, sniffing her toys and searching my face for answers
I did not have.
   Arriving at Red Rock, we were led around to the
back paddock to meet Fred's two sable bitch pups. I carried a photo of
Shandra with me; hoping that one of these little souls would ease my
aching heart. They were totally engrossed in "the chase game", floating
around the huge grassy enclosure, when the darker of the two suddenly
spied my husband standing there laughing at their antics. Instantly,
she broke away from her sister and flew to his side; wrapping her paw
around his leg as if to say "HERE I am!!! I've been waiting for
you!"....He pointed to her and said "You'll do..."....and within
moments, she was in our van along with her new found friend, making
the trip that would begin our journey of the next eleven years.
  We
named her Kizmet....for it was surely kismet that brought us to her.
Her arrival in our lives changed more than the number of dogs we
had....it brought us to a new home on Cape Cod...enabled us to forge
new friendships...gave me new insight into the lives of these amazing
creatures and enjoyment beyond my wildest imagination.
  We have
had quite a journey, Kiz and I. We grieved together at the loss of her
beloved Krunch...and rejoiced with the birth of her puppies. Together
with Dallas, she
has given me the dog people wait their whole lifetime for...and for
that I shall be eternally grateful. With just two breeding's, she has
succeeded in producing six AKC Champions (three of which are Service dogs) and
achieving her ROM.....this from a girl who got a very late start
in the whelping box at five and a half years old.

Her days of puppies are long behind her now...her life consists of quiet
walks around the cranberry bog, rides in the car for no reason, and ice
creams whenever the mood strikes her. She has more than earned
it....and as I look at this unbelievably beautiful plaque, with her
sitting at my feet..her  cloudy eyes are saying once again..."Here I
am!!! I will ALWAYS wait for you..."
I love you Kiz....you will always have my heart. Happy Birthday baby...
Love, Your Mom

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made to: