[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hands Off Fido, Mr. Levine...Positive Bill Introduced!!!!

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:20:29 EST

Cross post, please..............
SH
http://www.flashreport.org/blog.php?pstID=2008021515251251
Hands off Fido,Assemblyman Levine

by Meredith Turney - State Capitol

2-15-2008 12:25 pm
Every legislative session there are a few bills that really grab the publicâ??s
attention. Of all the high profile bills from last session, perhaps the most
controversial for the general public (not policy or political wonks) was Lloyd
Levineâ??s proposal to require every cat and dog in California be spayed or
neutered (AB 1634).  In fact, some lawmakers stated that they received more
letters on this issue then any other issue debated last session. Assemblyman
Doug
LaMalfa humorously and effectively proved this fact during one assembly
appropriations committee hearing by presenting a two-foot high stack of some of
the
letters his office had received opposing AB 1634.

Ultimately, despite heavy lobbying from the likes of Bob Barker, Pamela
Anderson and William Shatner, the bill stalled before session ended.  Mr.
Levine
learned the hard way that people are very protective of their four-legged
companions. The bigger issue with this bill is that itâ??like many of the bills
Mr.
Levine proposesâ??seeks to control the lives and freedom of individual
citizens.
Yes, there is a problem with overcrowding in local animal shelters and we are
euthanizing thousands of poor animals every year. But the answer is not taking
away the freedom of citizens and their choices in owning domestic pets.

I was so outraged about this bill (my own beloved Labrador mutt was a pound
puppy), that it prompted me to write to my senator, Dave Cox, and urge his
opposition. I suggested that perhaps a better solution could be foundâ??a
solution
that would respect the freedom of citizens while fixing (no pun intended) the
problem. Well, Assemblyman George Plescia has done just that. Earlier this week
he introduced a bill that would give a tax credit of 25% of the amount a pet
owner pays to spay or neuter their cat or dog. This is the type of solution
that will encourage citizens to be responsible pet owners, without the
heavy-handed oversight of Assemblyman Levine and his cohorts. Granted, it would
be nice
to have a complete tax write-off for the cost of ensuring Fido and Kitty donâ??
t have offspring, but itâ??s a great start.

This is the Republican way of governing: we donâ??t force people to give up
individual freedoms in order to conform to our definition of responsibility. If
there is a problem, we find a free market solution and do everything possible
to protect peopleâ??s choices. Returning more of their money to taxpayers in
the
form of tax credits is a great incentive to help find the solution for a
problem. Thank you, Assemblyman Plescia, for offering a freedom-protecting
alternative to the freedom-squelching AB 1634.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)