[ SHOWGSD-L ] Handlers, Futurities and shows in general

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, Gsdman2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:17:30 EST

We were having this conversation the other day.  One of the major  expenses
and difficulty to show dogs is the handling.  Either you can't  show your dog
or you can't find a handler, or you can't afford the handlers, or  the handlers
are booked (or double booked) when you need them.

Everyone knows I am a great Junior handler supporter, I think these kids  are
not used enough, and many of them are right out good handlers.

BUT.......and I know this is going to be controversial.......when  handlers
are charging $100+ per class and an additional $75 or more PER POINT,  and
teaching the Junior Handlers to do this, we are in trouble. Will they not  try
win the points unless they are guaranteed the extra per point  money?  Call me
RIDICULOUS, but why don't just come out and charge $200 per  class????  Then
let the people decide if they want to spend that kind of  money, or if they
have enough trust in their dogs not to hire the  MONEY Handler.

I wonder if this serious charges comes with winning guarantees, or if you
can get a refund when the pricey handler doesn't win with your dog.....just
rambling here....LOL

And no, this is not only limited to specialties, some all breed handlers
charge you more for BOB, more for taking the same dog for Group, and then more
for a group placing. And if that dog gets pulled with 8 others for
consideration, there is an extra charge for that extra look.

With all the economics that come into place when showing your dogs we need
to be looking for ways to reduce the expenses, not increasing them.

Call me crazy, or naive, but this is senseless.

JMO

Ileana

******************
Handling  fees are the greatest expense.  The cost of travel and lodging is
not
> cheap.  The flaw in that argument is that no one is forcing  anyone to hire
an
> expensive handler, and no one is forcing anyone to  travel cross country to
show
> their dog.  Handling fees are  expensive because people choose to pay them.
 They make that choice often  out of fear that their dog cannot win without a
top
> handler on  it.  That certainly isn't showing much faith in the dog, is it?
  If
> you have a good enough dog, all you need is someone who is able to  show it.
> I'd bet there are several Juniors at every futurity who would  be honored
to be
> asked to show our best dogs. When Ashley Douglas was  a Junior, she showed
quite a few of our dogs.  I can honestly say that I  was never disappointed in
the