[ SHOWGSD-L ] HSUS being investigated...........hooray!

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:26:44 -0500

http://www.ag.state.la.us/ViewPressRel.aspx?RelID=451

Attorney General Charles Foti Opens Inquiry into Humane Society of the
United
States

March  27, 2006: (Baton Rouge, LA)-Attorney General Charles C. Foti, Jr.,
announced today that his office has opened an inquiry into allegations
involving
funds raised for pet /owner reunions by the Humane Society of the United
States
(HSUS). The Attorney General's Office is asking the HSUS for an
accounting of
all funds HSUS raised for the purpose of pet rescue and reunion with pet
owners
in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

The Attorney General's office has received numerous complaints from pet
owners
about problems many are having finding their pets following Hurricanes
Katrina
and Rita. Through its association with other animal welfare organizations
nationwide, HSUS has documented and placed animals in shelters around the
country, often resulting in the displaced pets' adoption. In some cases, pet
owners claim that those who are currently caring for the displaced pets are
refusing to reunite the pet with the proper owners.

"Once again we will be on the lookout to make sure that those who seek
to raise
money for Hurricane victims in our state, do exactly what they claim to
do when
soliciting funds," stated General Foti, "While I commend the work of the
many
wonderful charitable organizations that have come forward to help us in
our time
of need, I also want people to know that they cannot take advantage of our
situation in any way," added General Foti.

The Attorney General is asking anyone with information about questionable
fundraising activities by animal groups or any other groups to please
contact
the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section at 1-800-351-4889 or
visit
our website at www.ag.state.la.us.