[ SHOWGSD-L ] HSUS and the Vick matter

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:43:54 -0400

This is the letter the HSUS is sending out soliciting donations (a
friend sent this to me) I assume there was a photo with it.........
Boy, they are quick on the mark to ask for money, aren't they?
peggy

Dear ------,

This dog was one of 52 pit bulls seized from Michael Vick's property.
©The HSUS
Late yesterday, a federal grand jury indicted NFL star quarterback
Michael Vick and three cohorts on felony dogfighting charges. It’s the
latest disturbing news in a case that The Humane Society of the United
States has assisted with since the alleged cruelties came to light in
Virginia last April.
I hope you will take action today to urge the NFL to suspend Michael
Vick indefinitely.
The abuses described in the 19-page indictment are almost beyond belief:
In or about March of 2003, PEACE [one of Vick’s co-defendants], after
consulting with VICK about the losing female pit bull's condition,
executed the losing dog by wetting the dog down with water and
electrocuting the animal.
In or about April 2007, PEACE, PHILLIPS, and VICK executed approximately
8 dogs that did not perform well in "testing" sessions...by various
methods, including hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog's
body to the ground."
The NFL expressed “disappointment” and said yesterday that “we believe
that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts.”
Well, that’s just not good enough. These acts were not petty or
harmless; they were nothing short of gruesome and barbaric. And there is
precedent for a suspension: Other NFL players, such as Pacman Jones and
Chris Henry, have been suspended while they awaited trial and before
they were convicted. Please contact the NFL today and urge the league to
suspend Michael Vick.
For details about the case and The HSUS’s role in assisting federal
prosecutors with the investigation and the care of 52 pit bulls taken
from Vick’s property, click here. And if you are able, please make a
special donation today to help us care for those animals while the case
is being pursued by federal authorities.
Thank you for all you do for animals.
Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO