[ SHOWGSD-L ] HSUS and SAR dogs

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, RALEEF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:48:28 EDT

crossposted with permission..'
sigh
Storm

HSUS and SAR dogs

(from another list with permission to cross-post.  I don't know who
wrote it...Sue)

HSUS has made big strides in it's efforts to take control of FEMA's
National Disaster Canine Response Teams. Now they're soliciting those
of us who do/ have done/ want to do SAR, and making available an HSUS
sponsorship to cover the costs of training, equipment and deployment
travel. HSUS is offering handlers thou$and$ that we ordinarily have
to spend out of our own pockets with our search dogs. I'm sure that
will attract a lot of people interested in various tracking hobbies.
A handler can only apply the training techniques developed by HSUS.
(Excuse me, I'm gagging on this...brb.. .) My name must have been
pulled from 10-year old county records, as it's been that long since
I was active in SAR.

HSUS has slyly insinuated itself into FEMA, with the objective of
becoming the decision-makers about the deployment of search and
rescue dogs, K9 cops, and service dogs in any disaster. Don't ask me
what credentials they bring to the table because I haven't seen any
document that would qualify them to manage responders, communication,
or sites, much less any experience with handling SAR dogs.

In addition, HSUS organizers in all states are successfully seducing
already-overwhelmed govt agencies into trusting them (HSUS) to
determine whether pets can be salvaged following disasters. It's
doubtful they'd believe that any animal would pass muster and be
worthy of rescuing, wouldn't you agree? I've spoken with the AZ rep
several times without letting him know that I'm on to him. Agencies
are willing to hand over large chucks of control just to get out from
under it themselves. And the reps have palms of honey and lips of
gold.

These three strategies aren't the only ones in play. Two others that
give me chills are 1) statements that they have a very comprehensive
agreement with FEMA regarding animals and their ownership during and
after disasters; and 2) when you read the fine print about their
sponsorship of training, gear, and travel, you discover that you'll
be under THEIR command from now on - not the federal, regional, state
or local affiliations you presently work with.

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at