[ SHOWGSD-L ] HERDING At LAST!

  • From: "Castle Kennels" <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SHOWGSD-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:49:11 -0500

I just came from my first herding lesson with my live-in couch potato, my
black bitch, Blackberry Pie.  I thought I was seeing things!  This lazy
bitch came alive as soon as she smelled the sheep when I opened the car
door.  I didn't know she had that much energy in her.  She did have her
herding instinct test several years ago at the national  in St. Louis, and
at that time the evaluator told me she had very strong instinct and drive
and that I should pursue herding with her.  The days and years have a way of
flying by and this is the first chance I've had to actually seek out an
instructor in my area and start her lessons.  I am so glad I did.  What I
saw amazed me no end!  She is a natural!  I don't think she has gotten this
much exercise in months, never mind in one day.

When Pie  was thoroughly tired, I introduced my 7-month old puppy to the
sheep to see if she had any instinct.  Cameo gave it her all, also, circling
and moving the sheep with all her might like she had done it many times
before.  Neither of my bitches was the least bit aggressive. Even though
they moved fast, they stayed focused. Cameo does need to get out of the
puppy stage and grow up a bit before I do herding with her.  But Pie and I
will be enjoying many more warm spring days with the sheep here in the
Midwest.  I  am so excited to know that I will finally be working with my
dogs doing what they were bred to do!  I just wish I hadn't waited so long.

Pat
Castle Kennels, Ltd.
Where Shepherds of Distinction Reign
 <http://www.castlekennels.com> www.castlekennels.com