[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: HELP-Bred Bitch is spotting

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jolingsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:26:59 -0800 (PST)

My bitch did a little dark color spotting at about that time.  The vet did some
lab work on the discharge and found no problem.  It went away.  He did not
prescribe antibiotics.  She is four weeks in whelp now, and there has been no
further discharge.  He thought it was probably some residual from being in
season.
With her mother's first litter, I got a real scare!  About 2 weeks from the
delivery date, she passed about half a cup of stuff the color of dried blood.
I rushed her to the emergency vet.  He wanted to abort the litter and spay her
immediately.  He said I would lose both her and the litter if I did not consent
to that immediately.  I told him I didn't think so and took her home instead.
She whelped five healthy puppies, including my first home-bred champion two
weeks later!  There was a dead puppy that had been dead for awhile.  My regular
vet thinks the discharge happened when that puppy died.

In all fairness to the emergency vet, there are conditions that would have
warranted his diagnosis.  I'm glad I went with my intuition, though!

Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out.  It's certainly not something I would
ignore, but it might not be a worse-case-scenario either!
 Zoa

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com