[ SHOWGSD-L ] HELP - poisonous snakes

  • From: Jill Krzyzak <jillkrzyzak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:13:08 -0700 (PDT)

I've never really paid attention to the threads about snakes since they didn't
seem to be a big problem around here (Northwest Indiana less then a mile from
the Michigan border, very rural and wooded). Boy, have I been wrong.

  Recently on a walk with my toddler, my mother-in-law and my old GSD we found
a dead baby rattlesnake, about 8-10 inches long, at the edge of our property
line where the woods start. My mother-in-law put it in a bag for my
father-in-law to identify. He took it to a naturalist friend of his who
identified it as an Eastern Diamondback Rattler. He wanted to know exactly
where we found it and started scouting the area. Turns out the Michigan county
just across the border from us has been having a wild turkey over-population
problem and decided to release around 100 adult Eastern Diamondback
Rattlesnakes into that area in the hopes that the rattlers would eat the turkey
eggs and help with population reduction. According to the naturalist there was
no contact from the Michigan environmental department to anyone in our county
about them releasing a large quantity of highly venomous snakes less then a
mile from the Michigan/Indiana border. Nothing like trying to control a
 relatively non-threatening animal with a deadly predator.

  Anyone with any information about how to secure my house, yard, kennels, etc.
PLEASE help.