[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:52:53 -0500

No, not all murmurs are SAS...Cavaliers are not one of the breeds
mentioned as subject to SAS but we do have MVD (mitral valve disease)
and lots of what are called "puppy murmurs," which usually go away
before the puppy is a few months old...and which are usually completely
unrelated to MVD.
    There has been a world-wide study of the heritability of MVD - and
there are breeding protocols involving not breeding dogs under a certain
age unless they are MVD clear and their parents are also clear at the
time........this seems to have reduced the incidence of early onset MVD
- in truth, however, there has not been a satisfactory study with a
result that can do much about eliminating it.    We probably do have
SAS, just undiagnosed so far...most vets, unless they are very
experienced in dealing wtih Cavaliers with and without MVD, hear a
murmur or notice any abnormality and scream "MVD" as fast as they can.
Only a Doppler will show true MVD, however, altho a bad case can be
heard wtih a stethescope.
Peggy