[ SHOWGSD-L ] HBR 339 -- ONE MORE 'One last time'

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 01:00:27 -0400

Ginger Cleary
He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from
opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach himself.  ~Thomas Paine
My Ebay site
<http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=ginny2003>
Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/

PLEASE FORWARD AS YOU WISH!

Over the last month we have been asking the Governor to VETO HB 339 (vets
to report rabies shots for dog licensing).   We've been encouraged by the
amount of positive coverage we've gotten in the press.

Governor Kaine has until midnight, Monday, April 10th to either:

1.  Sign the bill into law.

2.  Do nothing, in which case it becomes law without his signature.

3.  OR VETO it.

We talked to the governor's office at noon today (Friday) and were told
that the governor hasn't made up his mind yet.   We believe this could still
go either way.

If HB 339 becomes law it will take effect on January 1, 2007.  After that
date Virginia vets will have to report giving your dogs rabies shots to
your county or city so they can bill you for a dog license.   This will
mean fewer dogs getting rabies shots -- BAD IDEA.   It will also mean more
owners getting 'outed' for being over their pet limit law and lay the
foundation for MUCH WORSE laws that we already know will follow.

PLEASE MAKE ONE LAST EMAIL AND/OR CALL TO THE GOVERNOR TO ASK FOR  A VETO.
How-to info is below the ====== just a few lines down.

You can read HB 339 at:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?061+ful+HB339S1

Plain text = old law, no point griping about it; strikethrough = stuff
deleted
by HB 339; italics = stuff added by HB 339.

NOT IN VIRGINIA?   Your issue is that Virginia is the one of the very first
states to get this law and YOU DON'T WANT IT IN YOUR STATE.   So email and
phone Governor Kaine and help Virginia kill it before it multiplies!

THANK YOU!

Walt & Sharyn Hutchens
Timbreblue Whippets

WHAT TO DO:

1.   Before 5 PM today or Early Monday  -- Call the governor's office:

Phone: (804) 786-2211
TTY/TDD (For the Hearing Impaired):
1-800-828-1120, or 711

Say "I am calling to ask Governor Kaine to VETO HB 339" or something like
that.   The aide may (or may not) take your contact information.

2.   TONIGHT OR OVER THE WEEKEND -- Email Governor Kaine.   Use something
like "Please VETO HB 339" as a message subject.    Make your message very
short -- "This is a very bad bill,"   "Doing a better job collecting a tax
instead of getting our pets rabies shots?  YOU GOTTA BE JOKING!"
"Governor Kaine could make quite a few friends by VETOING HB 339."   Or, if
you want to briefly explain your issues, do that.

To email the governor go to:

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

OR FAX TO
Fax: (804) 371-6351

3.  Do you have friends, fellow club members, family, others that you could
tap to make a phone call?  They're very friendly at the governor's office!

PLEASE FORWARD AS YOU WISH!