[ SHOWGSD-L ] H2669 amending 2132 and S1139, "PAWS"

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:07:40 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2005 9:07:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Here is the EXACT language as proposed in the Bill:  (note the  OR)
>       `(ii) any person who, during any  calendar year--
>
>             `(I)(aa)  sells not more than 25 dogs or
>            cats at wholesale or to the public; or
>
>        `(bb) does not whelp more than 6 litters
>      of dogs or cats and sells only dogs or
>    cats bred or raised on the premises  of
>                   the person directly at retail  to persons
>                 who purchase such  animals for their own
>               use and  enjoyment and not for resale; and
>
>          `(II) derives not more than $500 gross
>      income from the sale of other animals;';
>    and

You've listed the exemptions.  You are exempt IF you meet any of the  tree
criteria above. I see where the confusion is coming from; there are two  bills,
Senate Bill 1139 and House Bill 2669.  The later includes only the  proposed
changes (amendments) to House Bill 2132.  It would be (MUCH!)  easier reading
if each time they amended it, they would re-do the entire thing  instead of
saying "strike this", "insert that", which is why I found the AKC's  analysis
of
the legislation is so helpful.

_http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2525_
(http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2525)

Still, I didn't take their word for it, I read the bills, striking and
inserting <G>. You have to combine the House and Senate Bills, taking the  most
recent set of proposals then comparing it to the previous bill to get  the jist
of it:)  You are exempt if you meet ONE of the criteria  above.  Honest:)

You write "and who's to say that, once in
place, these regs won't have  the numbers changed in a year or two?"

They'd have to start all over again w/ a bills in  both the Senate and  House
and then reach a compromise between the two.  Not impossible, but  tedious.
Currently, IF the USDA chose to use/enforce the correct  definition of "retail
pet store" which is how hobby breeders are currently  staying out of trouble,
there wouldn't need to be legislation and hobby breeders  would IMO be in a
world of hurt.

(How did hobby breeders get lumped in w/ retail stores anyway???? I'm not a
retail store!)

I still make the point that State and local laws will, in most areas, kick
in way before the pending PAWS (federal) legislation.

Back to insurance for me:)  I thought THAT was tedious until I started
reading the aforementioned bills!

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_