[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: H1N1 flu confirmed in a Cat in Iowa

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:22:52 -0800

PRESS RELEASE
Printer-friendly version

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Michael San Filippo
Phone: 847-285-6687
Cell: 847-732-6194
e-mail: msanfilippo@xxxxxxxx

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 4, 2009

for those who might think it is not true, here's the AVMA's press
release.
http://www.avma.org/press/releases/091104_H1N1_Iowa_cat.asp

H1N1 flu confirmed in Iowa cat

Schaumburg, IL

— A cat in Iowa has tested positive for the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus,
state officials confirmed this morning, marking the first time a cat
has been diagnosed with this strain of influenza.

The cat, which has recovered, is believed to have caught the virus
from someone in the household who was sick with H1N1. There are no
indications that the cat passed the virus on to any other animals or
people.

Prior to this diagnosis, the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus had been found
in humans, pigs, birds and ferrets.

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the American
Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) are reminding pet owners
that some viruses can pass between people and animals, so this was not
an altogether unexpected event. Pet owners should monitor their pets'
health very closely, no matter what type of animal, and visit a
veterinarian if there are any signs of illness.

The AVMA is actively tracking all instances of H1N1 in animals and
posting updates on our Web site at
www.avma.org/public_health/influenza/new_virus
.

For more information, contact Michael San Filippo, AVMA media
relations assistant, at 847-285-6687 (office), 847-732-6194 (cell), or
msanfilippo@xxxxxxxx
.

###

The AVMA and its more than 78,000 member veterinarians are engaged in
wide variety of activities dedicated to advancing the science and art
of animal, human and public health. Visit the AVMA Web site at www.avma.org
  to learn more about veterinary medicine and animal care.