[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Guineas

  • From: Linda Battistoni <encoregsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, DERAYK9@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 20:44:02 -0700 (PDT)

Guineas are very entertaining - but not one bit intelligent.  They would do a
better job with ticks if they could get into the runs, but that is not
recommended.

I have 10 acres here and I lose half my flock each year to suicidal behavior as
they dive into the dog runs.  I only know it was the dogs as there are feathers
in the run - just a few feathers and the flock count is down.
I get 18 hatchlings a year and there are about 6 birds that make it through the
winter.  They are very suseptivle to cold and drafts for several weeks after
you get them.  There are coyotes and other wild things in the pastures who get
them in the cold months.

They are also very noisy and can fly well enough to sleep in trees and maybe 30
feet over the runs.  Keeping them on my property is not do-able.  My neighbors
are good about having them cross the road slowly and wander in their acreage.
They do not harm gardens.  They come home every night to the same tree.

I go through 50# of feed a month - more in the winter.  They are very skitsy
and will not tame like a chicken.  I enjoy them and so they will be here for
some time.

Linda Battistoni
Encore German Shepherds in Northern California
Website: www.encoregsd.com