[ SHOWGSD-L ] Guide dog question

  • From: carobgsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:18:47 -0500

My dog Tazer has a son that became a certified guide dog this year.  He also
has a couple others that are in training.
I asked someone several years ago why GSD's were not being used anymore and was
told that the GSD's that they found were spooks.  Can't have a dog that is not
confident leading a visually impaired person. Sadly there are still way to many
poor tempermented animals out there.

Carol
Carob Shepherds
Breeder of:
Ch. Carobs Kenya of BerJan ROM
Ch. Carobs Tazer v BerJan 2000 BIF(sire of 4 Ch.s & working guide dogs)
MVx. Sel. Ch. Carobs Tina of Bihari
Ch. Carobs Here Comes Trouble
Ch. Carob Tindrocks Legend

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:11:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Guide Dog question

Many of you know my second ex-wife is blind and she has a guide dog, a black
lab
named Woodson...well she likes the dog very much but the learning curve is a
bit
slow, she told me most Guide dog schools do not use GSD any more...when I was a
kid when ever I saw a guide dog...it was ALWAYS a GSD.......what happened? why
is our breed no longer sought out  for guide dogs for the blind?...this
troubles
me...or maybe I just have too much time on my hands...in 60 minutes I plan to
have a long talk with "Woodson"...perhaps I will introduce him to one of my
three bitches that refuse to have babies..lol.... maybe Woodson just needs a
good bitch in his life.....or maybe my ex-wife is driving him
crazy!......lol.....FB