[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Grooming Explain Please

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, BJBuie@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:26:51 -0700 (PDT)

I tell people who do not show but want to lear to read then watch, see the
difference between the rules and the standard and what is really going on.

  I do know the difference and I am still here.  I also know that I got a bitch
with a very correct front, when fronts were not, according to the standard,
really correct, and now that she is grown up and, teets tightened up, might
finish, she is only competitive, as fronts have, IMHO, greatly improved.  I am
so glad that they have and that the standard is once again being applied to the
fronts again.  Now, to get her finished.
  sheila
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
            Nowadays, if you want to win, you groom.  I know of no show where
grooming isn't done.  I have not been to a show in 6 years where there was not
extensive grooming of dogs.  I finally broke down and got the full load of
equiptment.  Now I don't have room for my kids to come with me to shows, so
even if they did want to, I don't think I could fit them, yesterday was a
crowded drive!!!!!
  Sheila

  Finally -- someone else who seems to share my own view of the pure lack of
ethics involved in this "sport." Why do people think it is OK to ignore the
rules and dye, powder, trim in breeds where trimming isn't allowed? You want to
know one reason new people don't stay? They get more than a little confused
by reading and studying standards, show rules, etc., and then go to shows to
see the "Big Guns," do as they please and get rewarded for it!!!
Flame suit on, so flame away!
Betty Johnson

  I think we are talking about two different issues here.

  One: Grooming.  I've made a living grooming. Every dog should be groomed.
There is no shame on having a clean dog, with clean teeth and trimmed nails
that don't tear you apart when they want to be affectionate.  Ask any judge if
they prefer to run their hands over a clean or a dirty dog.

  My dogs get to the show clean, and I just have to touch up, mainly when they
are out of coat, or if they get in mud or if I spill my coffee (true story).  I
wont be doing any undercoat removal, or "spring cleaning" on my dogs at the
show site. That's just lazy.

  Two: The Ethics of Grooming:  This is when dogs are dyed, trim (when not ok'd
by the specific breed standard), lifting, flattening, the chalking, the
powdering....all those extras.

  I groom my dogs (and cats) because I like the way the smell when clean, I
like not having as much hair all over the house, and they feel special after a
groom. They strut their stuff around.

  It is fun to take TJ to shows now, as a 10 year old, and have people admire
his awesome black and red pigment. Yes, I was accused of coloring him, as I was
accused of coloring BlockBuster also, he was a stunning bicolor, but no, I
never did. I am not that artsy, or disciplined.  Funny thing, BlockBuster had
two white tipped toes.....what does that say about my coloring skills?  LOL

  Could I dye a dog?  Sure, I had people try to teach me. But what does that do
for the dogs progeny?  I haven't heard of anyone mastering the Clairol gene yet.

  Ileana
Always aim to do the right thing.
It may not be popular, but it will be the right thing to do.

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

starting at 1&cent;/min.