[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Grooming Explain Please

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: CHSweetSun@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 11:29:23 EDT

I Know it is a Dog Show.  In fact, I was an AKC licensed handler back in the
1970s.  I did not colour enhance, etc., etc. 'Course I did not win as much as
some others either. But I did sleep at night and I knew that my ethics were
intact.  I am not a believer that rules are meant to be broken.  People may
think it is OK to breach these "little" rules, but where does one draw the
line?
No, I'm not Pollyanna.  I just think that one reason that we are in the mess
we are in is that people thought it was OK to play fast and loose with "little
rules" and it has spread to other issues in the dog world, including, but not
limited to breeding dogs who carry genetic health problems, and members and
officers of dog clubs willing to do anything to massage their own egos,
regardless of the effect on others or the well being of the organization.
Betty Johnson
Tintagel

Subj:   Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Grooming Explain Please
Date:   4/9/06 10:19:07 AM Central Daylight Time
From:   CHSweetSun
To: B J Buie, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Betty and Jackie,
I think you need to realize...this is a DOG SHOW.  People will show dogs, and
win with dogs, that have been groomed and looking their best.  Trimming, coat
enhancing, and fluffing up a here or there is and has been done in not only
this breed but almost every breed of dog since SHOW dogs started.  I was given
several very old books by a friend.  One was on Judging.  It was dated 1953.
It went over a whole chapter on how to determine how much grooming is too
much...and a GSD was mentioned.

Tari Kridler