[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Greyhounds (was Re: Daytona National???)

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'freelist'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:38:54 -0500

Right.  What happens to them, unless they happen to be taken on by a =
rescue
group, is that they are killed, often horribly, with no thought to at =
least
a humane end, or left to starve (or dumped out in the middle of the =
desert).
The numbers of animals this happens to every year are boggling.  There =
is
now a network of rescue groups around the country that saves many, but =
there
are many who are not lucky enough to get into their hands.  In Spain, =
all
the Greyhounds who raced that season are killed at the end of the season =
by
being hanged from trees.  The people who loved them try to hasten their
deaths and end their suffering by pulling on their legs.  Honest.  While
beyond belief, this actually occurs.  Things are also very bad in =
Ireland
and Cyprus, among other places.

For a while, there was a great deal of information "out there" regarding =
the
situation, here and there.  However, the racing industry, as the price =
for
agreeing to cooperate with rescue, obtained a commitment from the groups
that they would not broadcast the cruel things that were the underbelly =
of
the sport, and in order to save the dogs, the groups agreed.

I have a Greyhound, who was a racing rescue.  She is sweet, =
affectionate,
intelligent, and generally adorable.  She is no German Shepherd, but =
does
well with the GSDs, and is a pleasure to have around.  She loves to run, =
and
it is fascinating to watch - a Greyhound in many ways seems like a cross
between a racehorse, a dog and a cat.  Hard to explain until you live =
with
one.  The running is not the problem - the terrible treatment and =
cruelty
the dogs are subject to is the problem, and unfortunately many of the
organized racing activities and breeders don't seem to be willing to
intervene to prevent it (although some now cooperate in, or even assist
with, rescue).  That is why many people refuse to support Greyhound =
racing
by going to the tracks, even though they truly are wonderful to watch in
motion.

Margy Golant