[ SHOWGSD-L ] Great posts

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:38:15 -0800 (PST)

              Kathaleen, Ellen, Christine, Mort, Kathy have given us some very
valuable              posts, but is anyone listening?  Also, one of the
problems we have is that              so many do not know "Canine Structure
101"  We can expound on faults              of gait forever and still not
understand what causes them.  Speed can              be used to cover up those
: false reach; where does the foot actually come              in contact with
the ground? ; too many steps; head plowing down due to              having to
work at it. Our standard is, in some very important parts, too
 brief ; hopefully the new IS will address these parts : shoulder " not
     pushed forward" ---wow ! how much of that do we see today ?  Neck-
     "relatively long " OMG !   Mention "return of upper arm " and the
response              is often a
 blank stare. How difficult is it to understand that a correct
 shoulder places the elbow directly under the top of the blade ?  How
   difficult is to to know that correct reach and drive allows one to draw
         a straight line from pad to top of blade and from pad to top of pelvis
?              When the elbow juts out, there can certainly not be any
semblance to              a straight line, and the foot will contact the ground
under the neck, not              the nose.  If we are judging the dogs' gait as
it proves structure, why              must we send them off to "camp" to be
taught to "move " (read race ) ?              Just some thoughts, but I do feel
this is a valuable stream.
               Carolyn