[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Great dogs of the past

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:16:01 -0700 (PDT)

If people are wondering where to get it, I bought mine off of Ebay for like
$10.   It's wonderful, gives you a real history of the breed, the people and
kennels that made the breed what it is today.  I read it cover to cover.  I
wish someone would update it with a second edition...from the 80's to now.

  Cindy
carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The discussion of Barb Williams, one of the greatest teachers
of the breed, sent me to a book I had not perused in years. I would
highly recommend it to any of the newer folks who truly want to
learn about the breed. This book is Anna Katherine Nicholas' THE
BOOK OF THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG. it is huge and is quite a record
of the breed from the 20's to the mid 80's. Some of the dogs that
probably could be competitive today are pictured : Zeto of fran Jo;
Scorpio (1973);Manix (1971); bel Vista's Joey Baby (early 70's)
Amber's Flair (1980); many more of those dogs who shaped our breed.
There is a picture of Gilligan's Island as a puppy, and then further
in the book one of him as an adult. Amazing how much one can see
of what the adult might be in the puppy picture. There is a picture
of Ch. Carolon's Phantom v Le Barland, an all black Hein son who
many said was "closest to the standard of any dog living". I would
call attention to the correct fronts on many of these great dogs of
the past. We are losing correct fronts today. There is much that can
be learned from the past and from those who really know the breed.
Anyone who has an opportunity to pick barb Williams' brain is lucky
indeed.
Carolyn

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com