[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Great Conformation German Shepherd Dog

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 23:42:41 +0000 (UTC)

Interesting thread and even more interesting are what the driving forces are
for people in this sport. Awhile ago, I was talking with a friend about dog
breeding, puppies, etc. She stated that when she bred her bitches, she always
bred litters with the hopes of producing a specialty winner. I sort of laughed
and told her, we always bred litters to produce dogs that would go select.
There is a significant difference as many dogs finish at specialty shows and
never go select.  Flower Boy, I had to laugh at your example, your content with
a horse that wins the Derby whereasI want a horse that will win the Triple
Crown! LOL! To me, Everything is relative to where you set your own standard
bar. If you set your sights  lower you aspire to achieve accordingly, if you
set it higher, it may take longer to attain your goal, but you have the
satisfaction of achieving the best in your sport. With that said you have to be
realistic about what you are working with in terms of dogs and breeding. At the
national Jerry Guzman and I had a very interesting conversation about "critical
analysis" or the ability of a breeder or even exhibitor to be able to
critically look at the animals they are breeding/showing or take critical
comments about their animals from others. We determined ( for the sake of our
conversation) that a lack of critical evaluation was basically lowering the
standard bar for our breed. Grant you, was just a conversation between a
breeder and a handler, but I walked away thinking that would be a good topic
for the List! C