[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 'Gray' Color...time warp

  • From: "Karen C." <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:55:54 -0500

"Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>> Since when is Gray not an acceptable color? Just curious...>=20
>> ~*~*~*~*~*~*> Karen C.> Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>                     *****************************
>
>Well now I'm curious too.    Can you tell me what a "Gray" is??
>
>I honestly don't know what a Gray would be,  especially since it lists
>Gray, and Blue AND sable.....??
>I do know that some refer to a sable as gray.....but I have NEVER
>seen a gray German Shepherd Dog in photos or anywhere?
>Blues, sables, livers and even brindle....but never gray.....could be
>my eyesight again    <G>    Can you enlighten me?

Hi Carolyn,

Well, no.  ;)  I can't because I don't know what one would look like
either. I've heard that the Germans tend to refer to black sable dogs
as being "gray." For that matter, they often talk about black and
BROWN dogs as opposed to black and tan like we say. (To me, a "brown"
dog is a liver!) So I don't know. There are dogs with a lot of silver
grizzling throughout their coats. Such animals that are lighter in
color might look "gray." You have to figure they must be out there.
Otherwise, why would gray be listed on the registration form as a
color???  ;)

Anyway, the GSD Standard has this to say in regard to color:

>       Color =96 The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors=20
>       are permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred.
>=09
>       Pale, washed-out colors or blues and livers are serious faults.=20
>       A white dog must be disqualified.

Without getting into the color battle, (is it that time yet?), I guess
my question was more to this point: if it isn't *specifically* pointed
out by the Standard as being a fault of some kind, then it should
logically follow that it must be acceptable. Not desirable perhaps...
but at least in some way, acceptable (allowable, passable,
permissible). I'm sure someone here will tell me where I'm wrong.  ;)

=3D*=3D*=3D*=3D*
Karen C.
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
   -- Captain Max von Stephanitz, German Shepherd Dog breed founder