[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Got Milk?

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:34:39 -0800 (PST)

Agreed.  I had to command Liddy for the first 2 days then she decided I might
have a point.  But if the milk is not coming in, you must feed the puppies,
can't let them starve waiting for Mom to produce milk.

  My one smaller bitch pup could not get the hang of nursing.  I suplimented
her for one good meal, then she relaxed and learned.  She is still slightly
smaller, but she is adamant about her meals from mom now.
  Sheila
Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx wrote:
        I agree with Iza on this.  My girl took about 20 hours to realize that
  the puppy I was forcing on her was Her puppy - not just A puppy!
  Remember, your girl wasn't awake to see him born, she just woke
  up sore and nauseous, and that little creature was just there.

  I wouldn't supplement - make sure the baby is nursing, even
  if you have to order mom into the whelping box and make her
  lay there until he's done.  Encourage her to do the cleaning, too,
  if possible.  Going through the motions will help her instincts
  kick in and the baby needs that colosterum the first 48 hours
  to benefit from her immunity.

  Good luck,

  Janice

  In a message dated 3/15/2006 11:25:37 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
    Seriously, keep trying with the puppy - if she's a first-time mom, or the
c-section was just a day or so early, she needs a day or so -

Iza Kabuska
http://www.karizmashepherds.com