[ SHOWGSD-L ] Got Milk?

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:30:36 EST

Kathy wrote:

so what do you all do when mom wants to sit up an nurse and her front
breasts get sore and too full?

Sheila wrote:

Just thinking about it, it seems that all I can do to hopefully prevent  this
would be to milk her some, not fully, to keep the pressure down, but still
leave milk so that she realizes hormonally that it is time to stop producing
milk.

But if there is a better idea, I am ready for  it.  Part of my issue is that
I want her to tighten up enough to go back in  the ring.

**************

I have never had this problem, even when we had litters of 13.  I  never
weaned the pups early either, they stayed with mom up to 5 weeks, as long  as
mom
let them nurse.  That may be the reason we never had to worry about  it.  We
checked moms daily, for any signs of injury from the pup or  mastitis. Never
had to deal with that either, thank God.  Can you imagine  bottle feeding a
litter of 11 or 13????  We did bottle fed a litter of 4  that mom rejected, and
that was a full time job. She rejected her next litter of  one pup, and never
got bred again. That was easy compared to 4.....LOL

My worry usually is that mom would not have enough milk. We  always
supplemented, but the pups preferred their mom 10-1

Could it be the pups stop nursing too soon?

Please post to the list, this is a new one for me.

Ileana