[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Good representation

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 22:48:49 -0400

    I can think of a reason to have regional representation.  Some areas
of the country have a really hard time maintaining viable breed
clubs...and when a club has less than a dozen members and still manages
to put on two specialties a year, and even maybe, just maybe, getting a
major on one side...I would think it is very difficult for those parts
of the country where the clubs thrive, where there is a large number of
GSD breeders who show dogs, and where there are more than a few clubs
that have no trouble at all drawing majors every time, on both sides, at
every specialty.........I think people in those more populated areas
don't understand how hard it is in some areas.
    When I first began going to meetings of the Northern Virginia club,
for example, there were a couple of dozen members who exhibited
regularly and who attended meetings all the time.  For the past 10 years
at least, the active breeder/exhibitor members in that club is VERY
small...and I do mean VERY.
Two of the clubs in our Virginia/Maryland/Washington DC area have folded
up entirely...another holds its shows in Pennsylvania.
       Those of you who remember the big August shows here...think back
on how much fun they were...and how the majors held for the Sunday
all-breed show...
well....those days are gone forever.
       I guess there's not much that can be done about a dwindling
population of Shepherd breeders, but those of you who live in an area
where there are several viable clubs holding good sized specialties, all
within a couple of hours drive, have no idea what it's like
here..........and this isn't the only place.  If it weren't for a very
few dedicated people, more clubs will disappear...and unless more people
who breed and show move into the areas like ours, we'll be a part of the
country with no specialties at all.
    The way legislation is aimed at breeders, etc., we all need to work
together to protect our rights to own, breed, and show our dogs...one
way we could work together is if every region were represented...not
just the areas with the greatest number of successful clubs with large
entries.
        Maybe I'm wrong...but I don't think regional representation
would hurt a bit.
Peggy.