[ SHOWGSD-L ] Good Judge/Bad Judge

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 17:20:10 -0500

I am really tired of the comments about judges being crooks, unethical, etc. If
you think it is such a serious problem in the breed, then maybe you need to
re-evaluate where you show and who you show too. All I hear is how wonderful
specialty judges are and then in the same breath how many are crooks, only put
up their friends, etc.
Give me a good all-arounder any day. Good or bad, breeder-judges bring baggage
to the ring. I prefer it if they are still breeding, but if they can't produce
good dogs generation after generation, what good are they? A few champions does
not necessarily make a good judge, no matter what breed it is.

And for anyone who tells me that novices or unknowns can't win at shows...
Argus has done all of his winning owner-handled including multiple BIS and our
National. He is one Ch from his ROM (takes 10 and only CH). All of this with 10
litters and the oldest just turned 3. Of his kids who have finished, all but
one have at least one Specialty major, one finished completely novice
-owner-handled and was just BISS last weekend. Two were finished by junior
handlers and all of the others were owner-handled. There are three more to
finish including two with novices.

Btw: We figured out last week that we have bred or owned 290 champions and only
6 have been finished by handlers. This also includes several BIS winners, DCA
Futurity winners and Specialty winners.

To new people out there, don't get discouraged by all this complaining. Dog
shows really are awesome.

Jess M.
Paisley Dals and the Shepherd Girls