[ SHOWGSD-L ] Goldbecker -- Temperament--Gun test

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:18:32 -0800

I think gun testing ANY working or sporting dog should be important.    We have
gun tested
our own dogs forever.......just for our own knowledge of where we are with what
we have.
Haven't had a gun shy dog for years.......but in all honesty we HAVE had a
couple.
One thing I can tell you and I hope everyone understands.
EVERY GUN SOUND DOG IS NOT NECESSARILY A SOUND DOG!!!!!

You can have a dog that is not sound in temperament........and they can be very
gun sure!
You can have a dog that is sound in every respect............. EXCEPT it is gun
shy!
Either one poses a problem.   One not so serious........as long as it never
ever has to deal with
fireworks, thunder or gunshots in it's entire life..........<G>
The other IS a problem in many respects....but could pass the gun test at a
National or anywhere.

Where we live we have lots of thunderstorms every winter.   Some can be pretty
intimidating,
Living in the Country where people don't necessarily confine their dogs.....we
never know
what new dogs we will wake up to in our yard after a thunderstorm .......and
neighbors are always
calling or looking for their gun shy dogs that flew the coop during the storm.
  <G>
I always go out and watch our dogs during fireworks and thunderstorms also,
to make sure they
are OK with it........but some of those great old sound doggies of all shapes
and sizes and
breeds that belong to all our neighbors can really LOSE IT during 4th of July
and New Years
Eve and a Thunderstorm.     <G>

As Kathaleen said.........it is something we all should at least KNOW!    Just
don't assume a
gun sound dog is sound in every other way..........<G>   Our responsibility is
to KNOW!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

  ] On Behalf OfEKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Goldbecker -- Temperament--Gun test

  It is interestng with all the talk of Goldbeckers This is the GS. I hunted
  up my 1955 edition and started to reread it. I had just started took a break
  to  check e-mail. and was reading the posts on gun and or noise shy dogs. On
  pg. 22  there is a footnote saying the dog that went reserve Sieger to Klodo
  V Boxberg Sultan Von Blasienberg was one of the basic studs used in the
  Fortunate Fields experiment. It says " even though he was gunshy, a trait
  which he passed on to his progeny he  was sound in all other respects, had a
  great willingness to please,  trainability and type, and was invaluable in
  the production of basic stock to  further the Fortunate Fields program in
  which working qualities were  paramount."
     Many of these dogs were some of the first used as the first guide dogs for
the
  blind. Someone else can explain what the fortunate field experiments
  were my one finger is sore.   Fred M.

  Hi Fred:
  Thanks for pointing that out.  As I said in a previous post, I'm not saying
  people shouldn't breed these animals -- but a little knowledge would be
  helpful for those people who may want to incorporate this bloodline or that
  bloodline into their kennel.

  I polled the list a year or so ago on this topic -- it got shot down in
  flames -- so I'm tilting at windmills.  Still can't quite fathom why the
  idea of a simple gun test is so vile to people, but such is the mysteries of
  life.
  Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:
  1995 US GV, AOE-1996 US GVx, Jubilee ROM