[ SHOWGSD-L ] Going to Westminster next February?

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:40:09 -0400

    A friend of mine who works in New York City checked in with me
tonite after the explosion there today.  We have an understanding that
she should call me when something
happens in the City that might endanger her......such as 9/11, or
today's explosion.  Even tho I know she doesn't work near the site of
either of those incidents, if you are familiar with New York, you know
that something like today's explosion could possibly mean that no one in
the city could get home tonite.   9/11, of course, was beyond any of our
experience...there was no expectation at the time......
    Anyway, she called to tell me she got home in good time, and all was
well....her dogs were fine (she wasn't very late) and had used the usual
means and routes to get home to
New Jersey.......OK........In the course of our conversation, she
happened to mention Mayor Bloomberg's latest brilliant
idea.............Anyone entering the city below 86th street is
going to have to pay a fee of $8.  I think she said that means that if
you are way uptown and want to go downtown, you have to take a train,
the subway, or the bus, because
you will not be able to drive lower than 86th street without paying the
new "fine" or "fee," whatever they are calling it!
    The fee will be expected from people whose jobs are below 86 street,
too!!!

   No means of collecting this fee have been established, and I do not
know when it takes effect...but it is sure to be in place by next
February!  Just thought I'd give y'all a heads up...
I know there are people who read the list who like to go to the
Garden...................

     Actually, I think it's funny...............        apparently this
ploy is supposed to get the city some state and Federal funds, which is
the purpose behind it.....makes no sense to
me, but then I'm not a politician!!!!!!!!

    This means, of course, that anyone who thought they were driving in
to the Westminister dog show will have to pay an extra $8 for the
privilege of being in town.
The entire theatre district is also way below 86th street...(in case you
didn't know)...as are all the great restaurants and most of the tourist
attractions, as well as all the shopping!!!

Peggy