[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Giving away a purebred

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:10:24 -0700

I do agree with Pam to a point. We do tend to feel that many people would
consider that a 'freebee would have no value. Then there is also the concern
that the new owner wouldn't pay the price for the best diet or vet care that
may be needed etc.
I did give a dog away once, and I never regretted it. I also wrote about it
to the list several years ago.
The puppy had special circumstances where I didn't feel I could sell her,
and had a hard time making the decision to put her down. She was born with a
PRAA (persistent right aortic arch).
After watching her struggle with solid food I made an appointment for
diagnosis, prognosis etc. I was sure I would not be bringing her home. He
asked if he could try something he had wanted to try to correct this
problem. He told me the charges would be only for the cost of anesthesia
etc., that his time would be donated. I finally agreed, all though
reluctantly. I really expected to get the call that she didn't survive. She
did and after several days of his expert care he called and told me she
could go home.
Then I thought to myself, what have I done? Do I want a young dog that will
need to be fed a special diet? One that my not survive the first months let
alone years? Am I going to be able to do all that may become necessary for
her to live a "normal" life? Oh my, I keep talking myself in and out of what
the best decision was.
Well eventually my inner voice told me, "this pup is here because of your
decision, you need to see it through, no matter the outcome."
Well the outcome was good. She grew, and was eventually able to eat normally
etc. We named her "Arelee's Unsinkable Molly Brown".  We placed her with a
young man who really wanted a GSD. He was made aware of the circumstances
etc. She lived a long and normal life with him, and he did get a CD on her.
She was just the "best" as far as adjusting to anything. I think it was
because of all the handling and special care she received from a very young
age. This condition became apparent in the early weeks when she was first
offered puppy gruel, I didn't notice it when she was nursing.
Frank (who was the one who got her) did place value on her, she was the joy
of his life. He would bring her to visit often, It didn't take me to long to
convince myself I had done the right thing after all, by taking the chance
with Molly.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA