[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Giving away a purebred

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:31:27 -0400

I agree with Pam....altho I believe there are occasions when it's
OK...between friends, breeding partners, or someone you know.........but
not to some guy off the street who
wants a "police dawg" and doesn't want to pay the price.........
    I'm involved in a breed for which pet prices for 2 and 3 month old
puppies are astronomical (to me)...and that's on spay/neuter contracts....
we get people all the time who want one for free, or for $200....one man
sent letters to the entire breeders' list a month or two ago, saying he'd
be happy to take one "we thought was no good."
    No...none of them are "no good," sorry.............and none of them
are free, or even inexpensive...not from a breeder who cares about the
breed,
does health testing, shows dogs, etc.   Maybe from some byb...but not
from anyplace you'd really WANT a puppy from.
       Over the years, people have given me dogs...good ones.  One even
became  number one in the breed for a short time, but of course, that
doesn't happen
most of the time.   I think the people knew me and knew the dogs would
have homes for life...and the required medical care, etc., even be shown
(altho I don't
do that anymore)......but to just give dogs away to get rid of them, no
Peggy