[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Giving away a purebred

  • From: EDEN HALL <gsdhallmark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:04:20 -0700

We've given away dogs to wonderful homes because the people were wonderful and
it was a match for the people and dogs.  It's not fair to group people who give
a dog away and to infer they feel the dog has no value, that's so far off the
mark.

I understand what you are saying about people who can't afford to buy a dog
surely can't maintain the animal.  That is different than placing a dog with a
friend or family member who can offer the dog more attention and a busier life.
 We have 2 dogs in our home with room for 2 more and that's about it.  To have
more, for us, means others will not have the same attention.  Our breed in
particular needs to be with their people.

We have placed a few dogs here and there with people who take their dogs
camping, to work, to school, herding, live on huge farms/ranches, etc. etc.
This is a generous thing to do for the dog rather than keep them and not be
able to supply this kind of time with them.  This doesn't mean we give the dog
no value, it's quite the opposite, we have placed dogs we love with homes that
can provide more time and attention and a more well rounded life.  None of us
would give a dog away to someone who couldn't pay and vet it.

We have also turned down sales of pups to folks who don't appear they have the
finances to maintain a pup.  Folks that want to make payments on a pet pup,
ones who want you to hold it until their income tax comes in, etc.  These are
folks that no one here probably would sell a pup to, let alone give one away,
as was discussed earlier.

Also, to separate out the value of a purebred vs a mixed breed doesn't make
sense to me either.  An animal is an animal, a loving, kind animal deserves the
same guardianship, whether it be a mixed breed or a purebred.

EdieHallmark German Shepherds  Top American And German Lines
http:/www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html