[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Giving away a purebred

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:10:34 -0500

It has always seemed to me that giving away a dog, particularly a purebred
dog, carries a certain message - that the animal has little value.

While that may not ALWAYS be true, I believe it is more often true than not.

The guy who pays $50,000 for a Mercedes is much more likely to take care of
his vehicle than the guy who pays $900 for a used Ford.

The major cost of the dog over it's lifetime will be the food and the
veterinary care it receives.  I cannot count how many times I've heard
people make statements like "why should I pay $400 (pick the dollar amount)
when it was a free cat/dog/hamster/etc..  I'll just get another one".

I believe that people place more value on those things that they pay for.

Pam