[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Giving away a purebred

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:19:03 EDT

I disagree totally. I do not believe that money determines the character,
ethics, or humanity of a person. I have given many a dog away to marvelous
homes...They have had the very best of care, in every sense of the word. I gave

them away, because a home came along that was worth a fortune to me in peace of
 mind. Some had money, and some did not, but all moved heaven and earth to
provide for their dog. Sometimes we all are looking for great homes for problem
 dogs. Most of our angelic rescue homes do not pay for their dogs, and they
are  absolutely the best...I never give a dog to a stranger, unless that person
is a  friend of a friend, or has excellent references. I never sell dogs over
the  internet, without a terrific person reference. Syd.

In a message dated 7/30/2007 2:34:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It has  always seemed to me that giving away a dog, particularly a purebred
dog,  carries a certain message - that the animal has little value.

While  that may not ALWAYS be true, I believe it is more often true than  not.

The guy who pays $50,000 for a Mercedes is much more likely to  take care of
his vehicle than the guy who pays $900 for a used  Ford.

The major cost of the dog over it's lifetime will be the food and  the
veterinary care it receives.  I cannot count how many times I've  heard
people make statements like "why should I pay $400 (pick the dollar  amount)
when it was a free cat/dog/hamster/etc..  I'll just get  another one".

I believe that people place more value on those things  that they pay for.

Pam