[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Getting the history

  • From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx
  • To: theresaroyer@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:30:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2006 3:02:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
theresaroyer@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I must  say that I am relatively new in conformation as well (<5 years).
TheBEST checklist is already developed...it is the GSD Illustrated  Standard!
You can find it posted on the GSDCA website!  Everything  else is
interpretation!!  Theresa

Could not have said it better!    The best way to learn, is  to read the
standard, over and over again, and then again when you think you  know it all,
take it out and read it again.

Wow, how did I ever get so far in my career of breeding and showing of
German Shepherds, without a mentor, the internet, and handlers buying dogs for
me.
(said tongue in cheek, so no one takes offense)

I read the standard, bred for correctness, went to dog shows, watched and
studied the dogs being shown, and used my catalogue to take notes.  We have
some great dogs in the breed right now and still have some great  breeders,
with
some of the best handlers,  I learned by watching and  listening, listening to
two breeders at ringside having a discussion about the  dogs, and picking out
the ones, they liked and the ones they didn't, each giving  their own
interpretations.  To me this is how you learn,  and I did a  lot of listening,
and
working with my dogs, learned how to groom, by watching  Lamar and Jimmy,  I
always had a soft hand with my lead and the dogs  trained very quickly,  It
takes
lots of work, and hands on, to acheive,  that Champion, Select of GV. (Oh, I
almost forgot, lots of money  too.) It doesn't come easy, but when you put is
all together, the win  is so sweet.

 I wish everyone lots of good luck in their endeavors, and keep  cool.

Diane

Home of 1985  GV.Ch.Ossipee Ceasar v Clover Acre CD OFA ROM,ROMC &
Cavalier King  Charles Spaniels
_www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com_ (http://www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com/)
www.debmarscavalierkingcharlesspaniels.com