[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Getting the history

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lollark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:44:38 -0500

May I suggest, in support of the Judge's Seminar held at the GSDCA National
every year, that the Seminar is not only for those whose interest is securing a
judging license.
The Seminar is open to all who wish to participate.  It includes, not only the
seminar format, but "hands on" dogs are featured as well as a "one on one"
discussion with mentors.

The Seminar also includes ringside mentoring as well.

Details may be found in the GSDCA advance brochure for the National in St.
Louis. Everyone is very friendly.

As an aside, I am also certain that many learned folks, ringside at a show,
would be happy to "mentor" newcomers.

The only cautionary remark may be as regards a seasoned breeder/exhibitor who
is exhibiting and/or grooming a dog prior to a class.  They may not be willing
to take the time to talk at those moments when they are about to put their dog
into competition.

Small tip:

If a person has a dog in competition in the ring, do not try to engage them in
a conversation.
 They are very focused on their dog:  focused on "doubling" their dog, watching
the handler of their dog,  keeping an eye on the guy/gal in the center of the
ring who is judging their dog, ringing the bell for their dog, running in front
of their dog, or calling their dog............... not necessarily in that order.

And, more importantly, they are likely, at this particular time, to tell you
that their dog is the best dog in the ring.
(Unless you hear them muttering under their breath something about "that dog is
here again").

=;-)

It is always best to make an approach when the exhibitor is  back at his/her
seat ringside.
(Depending on the outcome of the class. Pay close attention to where their dog
was placed in the class. It could be a "mood changer".)

Generally, most folks I know are very friendly, willing to "talk dog", and will
welcome the opportunity to meet a new friend.

Just walk right up and introduce yourself.

Jane Kerner