[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Getting out in the public with your dogs!

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSDCA Showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:39:35 -0700

Dave that's the problem -- you need to go to town with your shepherds...;o)
My shepherd Koda now has a fan of school kids waiting on the corner for
their bus. "Here comes that wolf again they yelled out!" The first time they
all came running towards us. The look on my shepherds face was priceless. I
put my hand up for them to stop or slow down without saying anything. It
worked. The 11 little wild things were all over my dog asking all sorts of
questions. There were a million little hands all over Koda. He has to be a
wolf the most of them thought. They wanted to give him treats that I had in
my pocket. Then it was the next day & the next meeting us on our walk. By
the 4th day I took a photo with some of those kids standing next to Koda.
Then I made copies for each child to take with them. I always wondered what
their parents thought when they saw their child standing next to the big bad
wolf. I taught the most of them how to greet a strange dog. And then the
third day one little girl is teaching another new kid how to do that. It's
was adorable how she took charge. I like to take the time with children &
adults if they want to learn. Kathy "JoKay's"