[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Getting Wood

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:10:58 -0800

*Unless you're a "little guy" like me and can't just go to whichever show I
want to go to....I end up going to the one in my region, because that's
generally the closest one to me - if the judge was someone I had a say in
selecting, then all the better...
Gail Bauman
Liebchen German Shepherds
Home of:
SEL EX CH Liebchen's Boogie Wonderland, OFA EX>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*
*
*

The subject of picking judges...
Also in some areas (clubs) the powers that be that are choosing judges are
no longer even showing or breeding dogs
and are out of touch with what people would like to see.  Their entries
reflect this.  Look at it, who's doing the picking and the
people that are chosen to judge and then the numbers..speaks volumes.
When you have one or two people choosing for  a Futurity, I think the
chances they will get a big draw are minimal, unless
you come "loaded for bear" with your accompanying specialty judges.

As far as the people that have to "do all the work" ,who is to blame?  if
the club has dwindled to such an extent that there are only one or two
people doing
it all, you have to wonder ..."why?"   Why are there no new members?  Why do
people not want to join a particular club?   Just because there
are some doing "all the work" doesn't mean they should be picking judges,
esp when they don't show or breed dogs and havent for a long time, which is
the case in some clubs, now.
What is the harm in putting it to a vote on a regional level, or is that
somehow threatening to people that are "in charge" of picking judges for
their clubs,
many of which are barely getting majors.  Or is that the plan?  To maintain
control over judging vote?  What is wrong with having a majority say in a
region
NOT just one or two people?
 Folks, the status quo isn't working..so there is nothing to fear in trying
something different.
The stupidity is in doing the same thing over and over again , with poor
results and continuing to repeat the same, expecting different results..such
is
our futurity system..

Add that to the fact that esp in the Western states you have several hundred
miles between Futurities, one can't exactly just
pack up and drive a couple of hours and be to the next one.
We are faced with this problem this year.  Don't want to show at the "local"
futurities (but not because of distance, even though each are at least 500
miles from us,)
so our options are extremely limited in the West.
So this year our Fut Dog and Mat Dog will sit out.   Not worth it, not even
a little.
If people at least feel they have some kind of vote in who gets in, maybe it
will generate more interest.
Or how about relaxing the criteria to judge our grandiose puppy matches?
 Really .

Trophies?  Instead of all the talk about returning plaques, etc, how about
enter if I thought we could pay the hotel bill or even just buy lunch at the
end of the Futurity day.  The plaques are nice, when I am
not picking the GSDs up off the floor that have separated from the sticky
tape, lol  But in this day and age, cash is still king.

Right now it is a lot of money and travel to go to a glorified puppy match ,
which anymore, isn't so "glorified"  .
 Personally I would rather have two club specialties and a GSDCA regional
specialty, in lieu of a Futurity.  It would be
a better way to spend our money our time, but that is just us.
Kathy
*http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com*<http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com/>
*Home of:
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2010
CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle *
*
"Victory...*Vires et honestas"