[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] megaesophagus - ITS NOT ENOUGH IMHO

  • From: Robert Utter <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: psshepherds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:27:58 -0400

I agree with this!   If there is going to be enough for a study, they=20
need the dogs with the problems.
I had a pup with cerebellar hypoplasia.   As a young pup we couldn't=20
quite figure why he gaited funny. He did not have head bobbing.  But he=20=

chewed in an odd way.   To make the story shorter, we took him to the U=20=

of T Vet School to a neurologist and he was diagnosed.   He had a light=20=

case and still remains as a pet.   At times, he goes down in the=20
backend and xrays have shown no skeletal problems and it is thought=20
that there may be a more severe brain problem than first thought.  But=20=

he is so happy and has such wonderful attitude and we could see no=20
sense in further tests as there is nothing that can be done.  He is, of=20=

course, neutered.  And of course, is a beautiful dog.    However,=20
whenever his time comes, I am taking him to the U of T alive and the=20
students will study him a short while and I will be with him when he is=20=

put down and then they will do complete necropsy at no charge.     I=20
have been told it is unlikely that it is hereditary but I want them to=20=

have all the facts they can get. There has been an ongoing study at=20
Cornell in NY and I've been in contact with them.  However, that is so=20=

far to take him that I doubt I will send his body there.   They did ask=20=

for a video of him.
Whenever there is a study, we need to do all we can to cooperate and=20
help with it.           Anne, TN