[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] Shoulders

  • From: "Lindenhill" <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ann Mariano" <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:14:50 -0600

ann, I am not the "structure" person in the family. But I will share what I
think. I think there is just as good shoulder now than 20 years ago, and in
some cases better. There is such a lack of good critques from the past. GSD
Reviewed sometimes gives a couple critiques. I think the problem has more to do
with the fact that an excellent shoulder is super hard to get, easy to lose,
and new people have trouble "seeing" correct shoulder. I still have this
problem. What helped me was Ed Barrit telling me while watching dogs in
movement, do not watch how far out the front foot goes. Watch where the front
foot lands when it hits the ground. Doing that in slow-mo while watching videos
of dogs is a real eye-opener. I think my GVX lily has the perfect shoulder and
shoulder opening. I don't think many would ding her except for her bigness
"which she measures in the standard." I bring up my own bitch because one, she
is a GVX, finished in three shows and many best of breeds under "shoulder
men/women" judges. I also bring her up, because now retired she is part of the
history of our breed. I think it behooves people who want to understand
structure is to stand by one of our best breeder/judges men and women and watch
a class or two with them. No one ever told me when I started to "leave them
alone" and I still sit with Bob Eaton every chance I get so he can tell me I am
wrong, wrong, wrong. The worst thing to do is see a picture of the dog and say
my that's a nice shoulder. Until you watch them in movement, you don't know.
Her brother Hayabusa (han) 3x select and MV, does not have the shoulder of his
sister, but he is totally correct and balanced. Is that why he did not go GV?
No, Scoop was just slightly better those three years (yes, Kevin and
barb--slightly), and Han has a wavy ear. I bring him up because Dave Rinke
includes him in his judges seminar that he gives--which is a great place to go
at the national--whether you wish to be a judge or not. As he says, we all have
to be judges to be breeders. I think if you look at all the selects male and
females pedigrees over five years or 10 years you will see a pattern, and
boing! you will develop your own philosophy. I would also talk to the Graingers
about GV Bull. Because they published "put a little lift in your breeding
program" I feel comfortable in saying that he was dinged because his front was
lifty or lofty. Did that stop him from going GV. No, Bull was an awesome
animal--very well deserving--his pedigree is interesting because the pattern I
am asking you to look for is right there. I will not bring up my opinions on
more dogs because they haven't been discussed publicly and I feel their owners,
breeders should discuss them here.  The best to you, Sheila at Lindenhill