[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] RE: Are we having fun yet?

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Cinosam GSD" <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, "inquestgsd@xxxxxxx" <inquestgsd@xxxxxxx>, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:34:19 -0600

People show dogs for a variety of reasons, none of which are wrong. for the
breeder that is "driven" such as myself and a few others I know and have
known that have since passed away, the "fun" begins with trying to breed a
superstar. Just speaking for myself, fun to me is researching a breeding,
breeding the dogs, hopefully creating the next generation of top animals
and seeing those animals with our assistance hopefully meet with their
expectations. I then find it extremely fun to then show these animals under
competent judges and then compare what I am doing with what others are also
doing. Nothing is more fun to me than seeing two or more great animals
compared, gaited together, one leading, than the other, the crowd getting
behind, one or the other and the judge giving the nod to what he/she thinks
is best on that day. If one of my dogs is a consideration, then that
certainly adds to the fun, if I lose to a formidable opponent, I can
respect that and after the show, we will all go get a drink together and
debate the days events, which is also fun. Perhaps for more driven people
the fun comes from intense competition, the win is sweeter when the
competition is tough.This applies to me( and Steve) and no one else. As
stated there is no right or wrong, just different goals and ambition
levels. JMHO  Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

<inquestgsd@xxxxxxx>; <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>; <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<Germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 11/26/2007 6:09:46 PM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] RE: Are we having fun
yet?

> It might be all well and fine that the sport shouldn't focus on fun, but
I also think that things have gotten so far on the other side of fun to the
point of not even being enjoyable that entries are at a rock bottom low.
The day I stop having fun showing my dogs is the day I quit.  I think most
will argue that the quality of dog is much improved from years past, so I'm
not sure that I buy the idea that people today are more into fun then they
are into presenting a quality animal and I don't see the poorly groomed
dirty dog that the author in question is referring too. In fact, from what
I've gathered from old timers, bathing, grooming and blowing out a working
dog before showing them is a fairly new concept. Perhaps the author was
referring to a "prissy" breed. :o)

>   In these money tight times, I don't think there is anything wrong with
showing dogs just for fun, and in fact we should be encouraging, not
discouraging that very idea.  I think there is a big misconception that all
exhibitors are also breeders.  Winning for a breeder may be validation of a
successful breeding program, but lets not forget the exhibitor that is just
looking for something else to do with their dog.  It's those exhibitors
that buy the show puppies from the litters of the breeders in the first
place.

>   Doing our part to make sure that showing dogs is FUN first and
foremost, will only bring in new people..something we desperately need.
> <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>               I remember hearing that shortly before Joan Ford passed
away she was filling out futurity entries  at the kitchen table and wanting
assurance from Fran that these youngsters would be shown even after she had
passed away.I think that says it all about a life of devotion to the breed,
and the spirit of a true competitor . although we did not know Joan
extremely well, I knew her well enough to know she and her dogs were always
a formidable opponents and was flattered when she told me she felt the same
about us! Dog shows may not be life or death, rocket science, or the
Olympics(However a sport is a sport, throwing the javelin, or figure
skating or equestrian events, whatever the venue, isn't life defining
either, just as dog showing is not).
>   Two months ago in the Gazette, there was a breed article devoted to
what happened to the lack of seriousness of exhibiting dogs. the author
pointed our that back in the day, breeding fine animals and having them
judging against their standards and other fine animals of the region was a
source of personal pride. It was a sport of the elite. the author goes on
to state that in much of today's dog world the focus is on fun. People
exhibiting in jeans and tank tops,showing dirty dogs, and dogs of poor
quality would have been considered an embarrassment, not only to the
individual but to the sport, however now it is common place. The author
poses the query as to what has changed?
>   I used the Olympics as an example, every serious actor wants
consideration for an Oscar, or whatever, every serious recording artist
aspires for a hit, or maybe a Grammy, nearly every pro football team
aspires to get to and win the Super Bowl. Most who race horses, aspire to
win the Derby and if they dare let themselves dream , win the Triple
Crown.I don't think of any of the aforementioned as "life defining" the sun
would rise and set, the world would not end if we had no music, sports,
movies, horse racing,however for some reason it seems the sport of showing
dogs is to be considered of lesser value, when at one point in time it was
a great source of pride to be known as a top breeder and exhibitor of fine
dogs. I suppose I still bring the "old school" way of thinking into my
exhibition of dogs. Winning is not only taking home the ribbon, but a
source of pride, that as a breeder you exhibit and promote good examples of
the breed and are hopefully recognized and rewarded

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;uwish@xxxxxxxxxx;Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;Germansh

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>   I don't think I have ever heard an Olympic competitor say " I have
devoted all this time, training, money and effort into my sport, so that
could participate in the Olympics for fun" if
> they had that mind set, they probably would not be an Olympic competitor!
> Christine
>

>   I don't think of dog shows as Olympic competitions.  Nor do I think dog
shows, and their results, are a matter of life and death.  It isn't rocket
science. It is a sport. So going in you know you win some and you lose some.

>   I did participate in a lot of sports, and I am very competitive by
nature. But in the ring, I am there to showcase my dog, show a breed
representative that makes me proud, and makes the breed proud as a whole.
The judges opinion is just that, I have lost to lesser dogs, that doesn't
make me think any less of my dog. I am still taking my dog home, having
enjoyed his performance.  For that matter, I take my dogs in public just
about every day, and in the court of public opinion, the jury can be pretty
brutal sometimes. We always win <G>.

>   So, back to the original post.  No one is making you show your dog. If
you are not having fun at the dog shows, maybe you should.  Since my last
health scare, I just have a different view on life. Dog shows are not the
end of the world. Cancer can be. So people, don't take dog shows so
seriously.

>   Ileana

>   Check out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest products and top
money wasters of 2007.

> __._,_.___   Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a
new topic
>   Messages | Links | Database | Polls | Members
>   Notice. forwarding of any information that appears on the German
Shepherd 4 Show list is not allowed.