[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] RE: Are we having fun yet?

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:52:54 -0800 (PST)

Sorry forgot to sign my post

  Cindy
  cinosamgsd.com
Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
            It might be all well and fine that the sport shouldn't focus on
fun, but I also think that things have gotten so far on the other side of fun
to the point of not even being enjoyable that entries are at a rock bottom low.
 The day I stop having fun showing my dogs is the day I quit.  I think most
will argue that the quality of dog is much improved from years past, so I'm not
sure that I buy the idea that people today are more into fun then they are into
presenting a quality animal and I don't see the poorly groomed dirty dog that
the author in question is referring too. In fact, from what I've gathered from
old timers, bathing, grooming and blowing out a working dog before showing them
is a fairly new concept. Perhaps the author was referring to a "prissy" breed.
:o)

  In these money tight times, I don't think there is anything wrong with
showing dogs just for fun, and in fact we should be encouraging, not
discouraging that very idea.  I think there is a big misconception that all
exhibitors are also breeders.  Winning for a breeder may be validation of a
successful breeding program, but lets not forget the exhibitor that is just
looking for something else to do with their dog.  It's those exhibitors that
buy the show puppies from the litters of the breeders in the first place.

  Doing our part to make sure that showing dogs is FUN first and foremost, will
only bring in new people..something we desperately need.

<hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          I remember hearing that shortly before Joan Ford passed away she was
filling out futurity entries  at the kitchen table and wanting assurance from
Fran that these youngsters would be shown even after she had passed away.I
think that says it all about a life of devotion to the breed, and the spirit of
a true competitor . although we did not know Joan extremely well, I knew her
well enough to know she and her dogs were always a formidable opponents and was
flattered when she told me she felt the same about us! Dog shows may not be
life or death, rocket science, or the Olympics(However a sport is a sport,
throwing the javelin, or figure skating or equestrian events, whatever the
venue, isn't life defining either, just as dog showing is not).
  Two months ago in the Gazette, there was a breed article devoted to what
happened to the lack of seriousness of exhibiting dogs. the author pointed our
that back in the day, breeding fine animals and having them judging against
their standards and other fine animals of the region was a source of personal
pride. It was a sport of the elite. the author goes on to state that in much of
today's dog world the focus is on fun. People exhibiting in jeans and tank
tops,showing dirty dogs, and dogs of poor quality would have been considered an
embarrassment, not only to the individual but to the sport, however now it is
common place. The author poses the query as to what has changed?
  I used the Olympics as an example, every serious actor wants consideration
for an Oscar, or whatever, every serious recording artist aspires for a hit, or
maybe a Grammy, nearly every pro football team aspires to get to and win the
Super Bowl. Most who race horses, aspire to win the Derby and if they dare let
themselves dream , win the Triple Crown.I don't think of any of the
aforementioned as "life defining" the sun would rise and set, the world would
not end if we had no music, sports, movies, horse racing,however for some
reason it seems the sport of showing dogs is to be considered of lesser value,
when at one point in time it was a great source of pride to be known as a top
breeder and exhibitor of fine dogs. I suppose I still bring the "old school"
way of thinking into my exhibition of dogs. Winning is not only taking home the
ribbon, but a source of pride, that as a breeder you exhibit and promote good
examples of the breed and are hopefully recognized and rewarded
 for your efforts. For me, this IS what makes it fun! Christine

    hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Steve and Christine Grainger
  WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM