[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] Genetics

  • From: Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx
  • To: shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:00:36 EST

Lord knows that the better hipped dogs will produce a larger percentage of
good hips. There is NO complete answer, but we all should keep trying. I think
people make a mistake in believing a Fair rating is good enough...Many Fair
ratings at 2 years will be dysplastic readings by 5 years. This is why at the
National you see veteran dogs limping when they were declared normal  at 2
years...I believe the ONLY way to secure a reading is to repeat the x-rays at 5
years...My data shows most dogs that remain good at 5 years, are carrying fewer
genes for dysplasia than a dog certified at 2 years.
Dysplasia is the result of joint laxity. If the bal.l does not ride deep into
the socket, with 3mm or less of joint laxity..You are not dealing with a
genetically normal dog regardless of the ofa. reading. Up to 15+ percent of the
dogs fall into this situation...Good at two years, but there may be 4 or 5 mm
looseness, that will not express itself for up to 5 years. Environmental stress
(over activity) will have literally no adverse affect on a hip with 3mm or
less laxity...BUT the sneakers that X-ray normal at 2 , but have 4 or 5 mm
looseness, will with environmental stress cause deterioration.  There are
exception
to all rules in nature...My studies showed my results are 98% correct. There
will be people on the line whom will jump at the chance to prove me wrong with
their individual case...So be it... My findings of the 3mm laxity being
normal, was established here in 1975...Being poor and not having the means to
have
these results published in a Veterinary Journal, led me to wait till the same
results were established by PennHipp....I was just 20 years ahead of them.

The only real way to establish your dogs hip producing ability is thru
progeny testing...breed and see what happens...BUT do NOT depend on a 2 year
diagnosis by OFA...You will be much further ahead to spend a little money at 4
1/2
months and get a Penn Hip...it will be accurate.

Chuck Kruger dvm
www.dockruger.com