[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: German/American crosses

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx" <helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 05:39:03 -0700 (PDT)

Unfortunately today many people, breeders and owners can not handle true GSD
temperament. This is a working breed, a thinking breed, a highly intelligent
breed to the point that sometimes the dog is smarter than the owner. If you
don't utilize the intelligence and use the dog in a working aspect you will
have issues. Being a "kennel dog" and running around in circles does nothing
for the intelligence of this breed, so people started to compromise the
temperament to something that was more suitable to their life style and
possibly intelligence level so the term "softer dog" became a common term. Keep
breeding softer dogs to softer dogs and you get a new term .. spook. These are
German Shepherds, they are a working, thinking breed. You need to work their
brains, give them jobs that cause this, if not they will find their own job and
sometimes that outcome is not pretty. Sometimes these GSDs are better off in a
pet home, there they are part of the family
 unit, the children's companion. They may learn tricks and play "dress-up" but
they are working and learning. Over the years of working with dogs I have seen
some very nice tempered dogs but only after what had been suppressed was
brought back out and put to work. Our breed has been know to be able to do it
all, that is what they were bred for. A mind is a terrible thing to waste and
it could come back and bite you in the ....butt.
Lyn Chernak

Lyn Chernak ~ CherLyn Shepherds
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://www.cherlynshepherds.com
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~ Membership
   CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC
  Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, CDX, RA, TC, HIC, CGC,OFA Excellent