[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: German dogs

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <falkrigia@xxxxxxx>, <EJDegen@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:12:56 -0700

I agree. This is a good post giving facts - and no bashing.
Excellent info.
Lee F.

From:  Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: P.R./ bad  backs & rears & color

I am not sure I agree. However if front  and rear weren't balanced I
could
see how the dog  could look awkward.  when I refer to balance of front
rear, I do not mean just rear angulation,  but the angle of the croup
and
whole rear assembly which includes how far the  animal gets under
itself to
thrust itself forward, pushes off and completely  opens up the rear as
well as
the shoulder and elbow, as if to reach out  and grab the ground in
front of
it. Invision the greyhound image on the bus,  fully open front and
rear.
This image represents  a full gallop. Since we  are on the topic of
motion,
here is another observation. The greyhound has a  short, slightly
overcast
back,again designed for speed.  Like the  greyhound, the German imports
are now
more square with a short overcast back  for speed. Import dogs are now
bred
to hit the sleeve hard and fast. This  style of import dog is a
departure
 from the dogs that were brought to the US  in the late 40's, 50's and
into the
60's. Then the
GSD was still primarily  a herding dog. The German's adjusted their
breeding programs when Schutzhund  became the primary focus,probably
observing
that
dogs with shorter backs and a  more square body style could attain
greater
bursts of speed needed for  schutzhund.  Herding dogs are typically
more
rectangular. Think of other  sheep herding breeds and you will observe
that
most have rectangular body  styles suited for trotting long distances.
The
GSD's ideal body style is a  slightly longer in overall body length
than tall,
and the breed should still  have a shorter hard back. The body length
does
not come from a back that is  too long or a loin that is too long.
Although
American breeders have  deviated here and there within the standard,
for the
most part we have  maintained the overall proportions of a herding dog.
me, the working import  GSD is no different than the working lab, or
setter.

===
POST is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the
original
author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of
any kind
are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND of
the

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its
administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any
post.

ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER
OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL
PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A

===